Click HERE for a full list of available internshps.
- Complete application form. Rank your top choices for an internship. Please also indicate if you would consider other internships not on your list.
- An essay of approximately 500-750 words. Explain your interest in the project/s you have selected, and your background and qualifications to undertake the proposed project/s for which you apply. Please include information on the academic skills you can bring to the project/s and any additional relevant experiences.
- A resume or CV.
- Unofficial copy of transcript (undergraduate or graduate, or both if relevant).
- A letter of recommendation, emailed separately to IPH Director Lisa Goff (email@example.com) directly from your recommender.
- Submit application form, transcript/s, and essay as attachments to a single email to Prof. Lisa Goff, director of the Institute for Public History, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please contact her with any questions.
Terms of the Internship
Interns will devote 300 hours between mid-May and mid-August to the internship. Specific dates and hours will be worked out between the student and the co-sponsoring agency. Each student will have a site supervisor.
Undergraduates are paid between $7.25 and $10 an hour; unless specified otherwise, graduate students between $12.50 and $15 an hour. See internship listings for details.
Who May Apply
Students in good standing enrolled full- or part-time during the Spring semester prior to the internship may apply. Students graduating in May are eligible, and considered undergraduates for the purposes of the internship pay scale. Internship matches will be made on the basis of the student's qualifications to meet the needs of the agency or program which is co-sponsoring the internship.
Fields of greatest interest for summer 2019 include: African-American history, Civil War history, military history, Virginia history, archaeology, digital humanities, art history and curatorial research, architectural history, website development. Students from all disciplines are encouraged to apply.
Completed applications (application form, essay, resume, unofficial transcript and recommendation letter) must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. Friday, February 22, 2019. Email all application materials except recommendation letter in ONE EMAIL to Prof. Lisa Goff, email@example.com. Ask recommenders to email recommendation letters directly to Prof. Goff at the same address.
Announcement of Internships
Awards will be announced by the end of March or early April every year. As positions are filled, that will be noted on the website listings. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Lisa Goff, IPH director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.